Auto Accidents

Car Accident Attorneys

If you have been injured by the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and the damage done to your vehicle.

What should I do after an accident?

  • Seek prompt medical attention for all of your injuries. Because of how the human body responds to the immediate stress and shock of an injury, you may not feel immediate pain from a collision. Sometimes pain and injuries will not be apparent until days or weeks after an accident. Left untreated, your injuries may actually become worse. See a qualified health care provider as soon as possible.

  • Take photographs of the vehicles, the accident scene, and of any injuries. A picture paints a thousand words. A photograph shows the conditions at the time of the accident, the severity of injuries, and the extent of property damage. Even when injuries are severe, after a crash, evidence has a tendency to disappear. Vehicles are repaired or salvaged, memories fade, and the immediate injuries heal. This tendency of evidence to disappear will be used by defense attorneys to argue against the severity and reality of the original injury.

  • Get estimates for the cost of vehicle repair. Have at least two estimates made from reputable dealerships of the costs of restoring your vehicle to the pre-accident condition.

  • Deal cautiously with insurance adjusters and consult an attorney. Insurance adjusters may offer you a check after your accident, ask you to make statements, or sign releases following an accident. You should be very careful. These people represent insurance companies and they are not looking out for your best interest - they represent the insurance carriers and are trying to minimize liability to their clients. Statements may be used against you, releases may prevent you from making future claims and checks may not cover your ultimate medical expenses or property damages. You should hire an attorney as soon as possible.

Who will pay for the health care?

If you have been injured, go to the hospital and seek medical treatment, regardless of insurance. If you have insurance and use it, this will not affect your ability to recover from another driver who was at fault for your injuries. Your insurance company may have a claim for reimbursement against the negligent driver or his insurance company. If the negligent driver did not have insurance, or did not have enough insurance, there may be claims against your own "underinsured" or "uninsured" motorist policy. The insurance issues will be settled out by your attorneys and insurance companies as the case settles.

Who will pay for property damages?

If another driver was at fault, his or her insurance company will generally pay for repair or replacement of your damaged vehicle as well as the cost of a rental car. It is important to make sure that the amount offered for this property damage will adequately restore your property to the condition it was in prior to the accident.

What damages can I recover from a negligent driver?

If another driver was at fault, you should be able to recover your medical expenses, ambulatory expenses, property damages, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You can also recover for probable future medical expenses and future pain and suffering.

Will the case settle and when?

After you have finished treating your injuries, demands are typically made on the faulty driver's insurance carrier. If the liability is clearly on the other motorist, and the insurance carrier acts in a reasonable manner, the case may settle without a trial. However, if the insurance carrier refuses to adequately and reasonably compensate you for your injuries, you may need to file a lawsuit to obtain relief. Sometimes, a settlement is obtained after filing a lawsuit, but before trial. Sometimes, however, your lawyers will need to take the negligent driver to court and prove the negligence and the extent of damages.


La Jolla, California

875 Prospect, Suite 305
La Jolla, California 92037

Tel: 858-459-9111

Los Angeles, CA

2029 Century Park East
Suite 400N
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Tel: 310-593-4193

Houston, Texas

1201 Shepherd Drive
Houston, Texas 77007

Tel: 713-589-2214